Adds comment, updates prices
LONDON, Jan 25 (Reuters) – Arabica coffee futures rose to a three-week high on Wednesday as the market slowly regained ground after a prolonged decline while cocoa futures also climbed.
* March arabica coffee KCc1 was up 0.75% to $1.6105 per lb by 1439 GMT after setting a three-week peak of $1.6330.
* Prices have been edging back up during the last couple of weeks after hitting a 1-1/2-year low of $1.4205 on Jan. 11.
* Dealers noted ICE certified stocks had stabilised after their recent climb, although there was still a significant volume of coffee to be graded.
* ICE certified coffee stocks stood at 858,647 bags as of Jan. 24, marginally below a six-month high of 859,564 bags set on Jan. 19. There were 125,209 bags pending grading.
* March robusta coffee LRCc2 rose 0.4% to $1,951 a tonne.
* March New York cocoa CCc1 rose 0.6% to $2,601 a tonne.
* Dealers said ongoing crop problems in No. 2 producer Ghana linked to swollen shoot virus outbreaks remained a concern, although the outlook remained generally favourable in other parts of West Africa.
* “This (a favourable outlook in Ivory Coast, Cameroon and Nigeria) has raised the prospect of a stronger-than-expected crop and could cap further upside for cocoa prices,” fund manager Wisdom Tree said in a report on Wednesday.
* There have also been concerns about weakening demand following recent year-on-year declines in fourth-quarter grinds in Europe, North America and Asia.
* March London cocoa LCCc1 rose 0.35% to 2,001 pounds a tonne.
* March raw sugar SBc1rose 0.35% to 19.94 cents per lb.
* Dealers said the market had derived support from news that state-run oil firm Petrobras was raising gasoline prices in Brazil, a move which could encourage mills to use cane to make biofuel ethanol rather than sugar.
* March white sugar LSUc1 fell 0.55% to $544.70 a tonne.
(Reporting by Nigel Hunt; Editing by Alexander Smith and Paul Simao)
The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.
Source link : https://news.google.com/__i/rss/rd/articles/CBMiVmh0dHBzOi8vd3d3Lm5hc2RhcS5jb20vYXJ0aWNsZXMvc29mdHMtYXJhYmljYS1jb2ZmZWUtaGl0cy10aHJlZS13ZWVrLWhpZ2gtY29jb2EtY2xpbWJz0gEA?oc=5
Publish date : 2023-01-25 14:57:00